Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Tale of Two Cities and Meg Transferred to Barcelona

Letter to Meg from her companion in Palma:

"A couple of months ago me and Hna Bennett were walking home about to cross through the park and she stopped to turn around and contact someone. His name was Jesus (no I´m not kidding though I have to say his name with a Spanish accent otherwise I feel like I´m speaking blasphemy...) He seemed pretty open and nice but as we were contacting him it turned into the most awkward contact because someone else came up and was being kind of mocking/rude to us while we were contacting him. So we just got his number and quickly left. we tried setting up citas or different things but it always fell through and then he went to Germany for a trip and we kinda forgot about him. Well the other Friday after interviews and lunch with President Pace we were waiting for an investigator to come to the church. So I was calling different people and setting up citas and such when I saw his number in our phone, remembered that he´d returned from his trip, so I called and he answered me. He said he was busy the next few days but had time that night. So we set up to see him. I didn´t even recognize him!! but he came and luckily our most incredible member was there and stayed to help us with the cita.

Jesus is incredible!!! He´s from here, 22 years old, doesn´t have much but is incredibly faithful and happy. We talked about the Book of Mormon and he was so grateful to receive it and wanted to read it. Then the baptismal question was set up and they looked right at me so I took it and invited him to be baptized! He said yes. He wants to be baptized. He is one of those amazing contacts and investigators of gold who is just so prepared and ready. It was honestly one of the most amazing moments of my mission. He also told us that just recently he´s been looking for God more and had been praying right when I called him. He doesn´t believe in coincidences and neither do I. it was just all so incredible. He´ll be baptized on the 3rd of May. He came to the special conference we had on Sunday with Elder Evans of the Seventy and he just loved it! He´s been reading so much, loving it, told us that he didn´t know about the law of chastity or tithing but wants to live them (I don´t even know how he found out about them!!) and after the conference he went up to Elder Evans. This is how the conversation went (in English mind you!)
´´Thank you so much Elder Evans!´´
´´Thanks for coming! Now are you a member?´´
´´No´´
´´Are you planning on becoming one?´´
´´Yes! of course!´´
´´Well good! Congratulations!´´
. . .Jesus is kinda great.

 It´s been an incredible miracle for me because I´ve yet to see a baptism here on the mission and though I know that that´s not what makes a successful missionary, you still want to see success in seeing someone come into the waters of baptism. So I´ve been praying for it and asking God if it be His will to bless us with a miracle. He definitely did. And then we learned that Jesus lives in the other branch boundaries. So we passed him off and the elders just got the greatest most prepared man in all of Spain! Well, at least he´ll be baptized and I am thankful to have been part of this and to have witnessed what I did. ha, I guess I´ll just keep praying.

Just thought I´d share it with you, Hermana Bennett! love you and thanks for making this miracle happen! keep workin hun! Love you tons.
Love,
Hermana Carter



 Letter excerpt April 14th:

 That saying, "Days become weeks and weeks become days." is becoming very real to me. It has been a very full week, but full in the best way. I don't think I have ever poured my heart into a week so much in my life. Hermana Rhodes is very inspiring to work with. People tell us all the time we are twins, which I take as a huge compliment. Hermana Rhodes captures love so perfectly in everything she does, that's why she is so happy and enjoys the work so much and is so successful. When love, as opposed to numbers, or fear, truly becomes our motivation...that's when we can truly dive into the work. I think that is what it means to give the Lord "your heart might mind and strength."

We had some priceless moments this week. One of them with our now recent convert Gicela. It was the day of my birthday and for our physical activity we decided to go running to this big metal dragon/slide/street art thing with Gicela. We looked at it, wondered if it was really safe and threw caution to the wind. We climbed up it, took lots of pictures (we got a great one of a guy passing by stairing at us), and decided to be dare devils and head on down. We learned some quick math... the force of three 90-100lb girls + wet metel slide = very dumb. We hurtled down the slide and realized we were still gaining speed about 5 feet from the bottom. Once we got to the end of the slide...we continued to slide...across the cement sidewalk. This would be illegal in the States. We were definately being watched over though because we only suffered some ripped gloves and sore muscles the next day. Gicela told me she felt bad because she clung to me about half way down when she realized we were about to end badly... I don't recall a thing, I think I was in shock.





Megan was transferred to Barcelona, which was NOT an April Fool's Joke!

Excerpt from April 1st letter:
Great news about transfers... I am being transferred to Barcelona, right in the heart of the mission where the office is, which means the office Elders are in my district (the office Elders are always incredible, President likes to keep the top quality elders nearby). Elder Singerman, an incredible Elder  from my MTC group, will be my district leader. Elder McMahon my old incredible District and Zone Leader (yes, at the same time) from the islands will be my Zone Leader again with Elder Sutten (my Zone leader for 1 week in Sabadell). I feel like I am coming come. Last but not least...I have the companion of my dreams. Her name is Hermana  Rhodes, she stayed with us for one week in Sabadell for transfers, so we have already taught together and love being together. We clicked immediately and I had been hoping to be her companion ever since. The overall feeling I cannot seem to ignore is, now its time to work.  I have been practically jumping up and down wanting to leave piso because my last companion was sick for the past 3 weeks, I did however get really good at setting up members to come out with me, which was inspired because Hermana Rhode is a sister training Leader. That means about once a week she travels to another place in the mission to work with and train other hermanas... which also means she is the best of the best. I remember thinking when she came to my piso 4 transfers ago, it felt like she was a sister training leader coming to train us. She is so loving and one of those naturally cute, happy people. she is a cute tall blonde, we just look like companions. I am excited beyond words to be with her.

Notice Meg in the background taking this picture of Sister Rhodes, ha!

Megan and missionary headed to Brazil.
Note from April:
Megan finally received her Christmas packages, one in March and one the week of her birthday! What a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment